Monday, October 31, 2005

Karl R. Bendetson, November 9, 1972

Oral History Interview with Karl R. Bendetson New York City, New York November 9, 1972 Jerry N. Hess
http://www.trumanlibrary.org/oralhist/oral_his.htm

I think I should introduce at this point for the first time some reference to the establishment of the famous regimental combat team of Japanese-Americans. This idea was born during discussions which I had initiated and held with Mr. McCloy, and he in turn with General Marshall long before I left for England. I had a very deep conviction that the Army should make use of the opportunity to find individuals who wished to give a good account of themselves not only as interpreters for the forces in the Pacific. This was already underway. I was convinced however that an opportunity should be extended to volunteers among the Japanese-American evacuees (the Nisei), to join one of more organized combat units to take part in the campaign in Europe. Karl R. Bendetson

No comments: